Friday, August 1, 2008

Bike Rack or Go Naked?

Here's the dilemma- As you know, we recently sold the "beast" (a.k.a. Ta.hoe). I had a nice Ya.kima hitch bike rack for lugging around our bikes for whatever reason. Well, if we want a bike rack for the new car, we need to move to a roof rack system. That's fine, but have you seen how expensive these racks are? I thought maybe we could get everything we needed for around $500, which is still a good chunk of change. But, after researching it, to get everything we would need we'd have to fork over $800!

So, I went to my back-up plan and have been monitoring what is available over Cra.igslist. I found a seller willing to sell the full-meal-deal for $350.00. The rack is only a few years old and looks barely used. Great deal, right? Except I'm having a hard time justifying spending the money for a bike rack system. We really should save the money and not spend it. But, then I counter with myself, "do you want to shell out nearly a $1000 at some point?" Of course I don't, but do we really need a rack? It's not like H will be able to ride, so that's at least a year before we would need to carry multiple bikes. Then there's the Kit.sap Classi.c, Chill.y Hi.lly, all rides that would require transporting your bike to somewhere. Oh, heck, I don't know. What do you all think? Is $350.00 a good enough deal? Should we just deal with going naked and save the $$?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Pufferfish said...

Hmmm. That's a tough one. I'm going to vote with saving the money and going on local bike rides. But I don't know what those other bikes rides are like and how fantastic they are and maybe if I did I would say, hell yeah buy the rack! I don't also don't know what your financial situation is. See what kind of help I am? Not much.
I just biked across Manhattan and back. It's a harrowing experience, not so enjoyable, I'd love some of your bike rides!

August 1, 2008 at 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home