Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Debate Club

H and I had our first "heated" conversation since finding out she's pregnant. It should come as no surprise that the topic of debate was centered around money, denaro, and what's not in the piggy bank. We all know the TTC process is not a cheap endeavor, much less saving for a baby, medical expenses, child care, you name it. The fact that H is pregnant only magnified things in this department.

H and I balance each other out for most things in our life, including money, although sometimes it may not seem like it. I'm the dreamer and she's the logical one. It may not sound like that mixes, but it does. I've always been able to creatively find ways to bring in money, and well, let's be honest...spend it too! But, over the years, we've always found a way. The fact that we now have a baby on the way doesn't change that. It may change a few things on paper, but the reality is that we'll make it work.

About two weeks ago H and I made a deal that we would seriously look at our financial situation. In typical C fashion, I went straight for the charts and graphs and starting plotting out our long-term plan. Long-term plans can be dismal and mundane, so that doesn't help matters. H is not a chart and graph girl. If I had a wipe board, I would be "project managing" our lives like there is no tomorrow. That's what I do. H can plan for the future on a napkin and still run circles around me. So now I have .xls documents up the you know what with different scenarios mapped out, and H has a piece of paper with nicely handwritten numbers laid out uniformly in a few columns. I have to chuckle because after all of this, they both spell out the same thing. We need to cut back wherever we can, save as much as we can, and clearly we should start playing the lottery.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger giggleblue said...

yeah, we are there. the best resolution we have had of yet is saving the money we were paying for sperm.

honestly, i don't know how exactly we will make it, but we will.

July 23, 2008 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Pufferfish said...

Talking about money is HARD work. It's good that you are doing it now and getting all of the fears around it out in the open. You'll make it happen, I'm sure.

July 23, 2008 at 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home